What is my rib DOING?! Slipping or dislocated ribs and ehlers danlos syndrome

Update: 4/30/15
So, I went to a PT a few months back and he pointed out some general poor posture and hyperextension of the back and stomach, plus using the knees instead of core and so on. SO...he taught me how to squat (much harder than I knew, since I always did it wrong) and he taught me how to use good core posture. He also made me aware of all the wonky one leg balance and stretch motions I made throughout the day that I never noticed.  So, I started concentrating on posture and core. Good good.  He also suggested a tennis ball against the wall and just lean into it when that back rib head starts to shift. So, I have done that ... and it is working!!!
I am so happy that it has been months since my rib has flared up. I just had to share. If you are dealing with this terribly painful and frustrating issue, I advise you to check with a PT or OT to see if you need any pointers on how you hold yourself and how you do your work, in relation to using the "right" muscles. And then, get a tennis ball or a foam roller and I hope it helps you.
I was also given an exercise routine that is hard for me to do, as it flares up headaches and neck aches, but I dabble in it and I will continue to work on it, going forward.

---


Ok, so I don't fret about myself and EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) because my level of hypermobility actually got better as I got older, and I feel pretty good BUT...my ribs on the back right side have been playing a fun game of shifting at the rib head off and on for a little over a year (subluxing).  It is incredibly frustrating and I don't understand what causes it.  The symptoms include feeling like I cannot catch a full breath (constant attempted yawning), and pain in an isolated area of the back (right over the rib head).  It really is such an annoyance.

I learned some stretches to help encourage the rib to go back into position, as it is not truly dislocated, just shifted slightly (sublux). This seemed to help a little in the beginning, but it got worse and over time, it would mix with neck/shoulder pain and eventually starting causing nerve problems.  I do not have time for this!  I need to be strong to help my family, so I can't be out for rib related pain issues.

I found a chiropractor who agreed to help me without doing all the snap crackle pop stuff that tends to give me migraines. So far, he has been a great help in getting those ribs aligned, but it never lasts. I have increased my stretches and I am looking forward to introducing an exercise routine to build arm, shoulder, and core strength. I also have a bit of scapula winging, and reduced muscle strength due to the pain in the shoulder area, so getting started on this strengthening program is sure to be helpful.
BUT, as many of you can relate, it is very challenging to do exercises that are new because of such easy injury. Whenever I add an exercise, I seem to be out of the game for several days with severe pain. It is ... again...annoying! I have found that I can do the elliptical machine without injury, so that is where I will start, with the stretches, and then I hope to add in weights under the instruction of the PT (to make sure I am not using wrong posture and making it worse).

So, I hope this helps, but if you have the answer to this plague, please PLEASE share. I have consulted several doctors and chiropractors, and it doesn't seem like there is an obvious fix?
Also, if anyone has tips for upper and core strengthening while using elliptical machines, I would love to hear that as well!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit with my back against the edge of the door frame on the side of the displaced rib, just to the side of my spine, and brace my feet against the opposing walls. I lean against the wall and press my feet firmly to further push my back against the door frame and then take a big breath, and the rib pops back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -- My daughter has something similar to this. It is in both of her back sides. We have a PPO health insurance, that locks her into only seeing their doctors. They have only two in network. Both said this wasn't something they went to school for, so couldn't help her, nor did they know who to refer her too .... She was an honor roll student in the nursing program before this set in. She is having to drop out due to the pain. She now says nobody should have to live with this much pain and wishes to just end it. On January 1st we are allowed to switch insurance. Going to try an HMO in hopes of finding a doctor to help her, before she gives up and goes away .... Moral of the story: If you are healthy then a PPO might be ok. If you need diagnosed or treated, then stay away from a PPO. They have very few doctors in network and 8-10 month wait times to see them. PS- Please say a prayer for her. Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle, we have found the most help from physical therapists and that would be a great place to start. Even the ones we have seen who don't know EDS know so much about the body and hypermobility that they can customize a routine with feedback that can truly help. Depression from chronic pain must be treated, too, of course. I hope that the switch of insurance plans helps your situation for your daughter, but in the meantime, if she could get into a PT and into a Therapist, those may be great to help with some pain management and coping strategies! Prayers back your way ~

      Delete
  4. I have had these sharp, screwdriver in my back, pains for at least 15 years. I'm doing OK, take a breath and the pain is sudden and I can't breathe any deeper. It varies in how long it lasts, where it hurts, and how deep I can't breathe. I have Fibromyalgia, EDS and other fun things. I always thought that it was a muscle spasm, but your description is spot on. Sometimes I get relief by pressing the area against a corner or have someone grind their knuckle all around it. I'm going to try the ball idea. Thank you all. 👍☺

    ReplyDelete